Featured Post

Brand Rules

Whether its Personal branding or Corporate branding, there are rules in the brand world. The Brand Room is going to be sharing some of th...

Thursday 24 November 2016

Is Black Friday a Fad?


Okay, the long awaited black friday is here, the biggest sales invention by the Americans. Its no longer news that black friday has migrated all over the world, and even though we are yet to adopt the Thanksgiving day that ushers in the black friday, which will be very absurd in my opinion, Nigerians and other countries world wide have openly accepted or rather should I say adopted Black Friday. Many thanks to online businesses in Nigeria though, especially Jumia and Konga for being the first online stores to usher in Black Friday in this region(I might be wrong though).



The first time I celebrated Thanksgivings in the US was back in 2010, that was exactly 6 years ago. Did I enjoy the big turkey and sausages and all the mede mede our Nigerian- Americans prepare on Thanksgiving day? Oh yes I did, and I still remember vividly how I  oohed and aaahhhed over the smoked/grilled turkey, it was the best thing since my late Great grandma's obe ata dindin with fried tinko meat and other paparazi that makes the stew finger licking!

At that time, I didnt really get into the Black Friday thing, or maybe I was still trying to get a grasp of it then, as my naija people had not adopted the fad then. Fast forward to 2013, I got on  a Delta Airline plane to Houston via Atlanta just two days before Black Friday, I purposely scheduled this trip to meet up with Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday, and boy I had an experience and a half, one that will last me for the rest of my life.

An orderl orderly black friday queue. 

It was 8pm on a breezy evening,my cousin and I were ready to go take part in the best sales of the year in some store in town, just so we could get the best deals,honestly I didnt expect what I saw on when we got to the Mall. By that time, it was 9pm, the queue was out of this world,and parking was proving impossible! I learnt  the stores were not going to be opened till 12am, and this further gave me the assurance that I could get a Christian Dior bag that night for $40 or less, as per today na today! I was beyond shocked to see the whole world in one space trying to get great bargains, I told my cousin Liz, that the sales must be really crazy for every one to want to be a part of it. Lo and behold, after waiting till 12am the stores flung open and you could see all the teenagers in Houston rush into their favourite stores, it was a mad house.

We managed to wait till 1am before going into any store to avoid being pushed or whatever, by the time we were in, it wasn't any better, only that most of the items were on the floor and not on the rack. That night we ended up not buying a thing because everything on sale just look stupid! as in very stupid! My cousin could tell I was very dissappointed , so she said you know its because most of these things are on the floor cause of the rush, thats why you think its not worth it, but the sale is on till Monday before Cyber Monday, so we could come in tomorrow to shop again, After that experience, I knew I was done with in -store shopping on Black Friday. I ended up waiting for Cyber Monday to do my shopping, and it was very well worth it. The discount in some stores were ridiculous, and if you are like me, that look for discount vouchers online, then you know you are getting some additional percent off your shopping cart.

Meanwhile, between 2010-2013, Naija never spoil like this, Naira - Dollar was between N117 to $1 and N158 to $1 respectively, no be now wey change don come. My holiday makers, abeg how are you enjoying this year's Black Friday sales at N465 to $1? Infact, you guys are the real MPV! Una dey try. Trust Nigerians, this is when they like to quote bible, "The young lions do lack and suffer hunger, But they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing"(Ps34-10). This describes most of us in Nigeria, because we are of God, the exchange rate is a joke!abi no be so? Black Friday sales must go on.....

Have you gotten a good deal on Black Friday sales before? Tell us about it, especially if its from a Nigerian online store. I'm really keen to know how much discount people get from Nigerian online stores, and if these items you purchased have been in your wishlist for a while and you have kept track of the prices till black friday.


Photo Credit: Wearables, Macys

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us on Instagram @thebrandroombyabi



Disclaimer: Please note that comments are strictly blog visitors/readers views and opinions.

Contributors